Saturday 5 May 2012

Bradson Pillar Drill No.29 Workshop of little terrors!!

So although the workshop has been busy things have been very slow. Lenards been dealing with a few family issues and my wife is bed ridden at the moment so that leaves me to juggle my 3 year old boy and the work load on my jack jones. Not that I'm complaining the two loves in my life, the boy and restoration. So now it was just a case of compatability!! Luckly he loves fixing things to...


Dad... Dad... I'm fixing with you... Dad... look I'm fixing it for you...


So while he was occupied I carried on with the pieces that I had on the go. There a lot of considerations on a restoration like this. The drill originally had a brushed steel finish but after decades of rust and pitting it is proving to be a painfully slow task!


To restore this drill I have to take into account that there isn't much play in the parts and over cleaning would ruin the fittings as they are engineered to fit perfectly. So digital calipers in hand I set to work.


Nothing less than perfect will do so this may look clean it's not good enough. Time to polish out the part.


The difference is evident straight away and this part will stand out when I get to re-assembly.


The tolerances have been met and the parts are divided up into Prep, Polish and paint. I am really looking forward to seeing this item finished. I think that it will look awesome.